Saturday 18 August 2012

Flesh Cuts with Luci Westphal


Siegessäule (Victory Column) and especially the Viktoria Statue on top, which Berliners like to call Goldelse is one of the outstanding landmarks in Berlin and should be on everyone's must-see list.

It's located inside Tiergarten and was built between 1864 and 1873 based on a design by Heinrich Strack. Of course, it's about winning wars. I won't indulge.

The reason I will always be so fond of the Siegessaeule and especially the Viktoria is the film Wings of Desire by Wim Wenders, my favorite film. Now that I have finally made it up to the top of the column, I was able to finally see what the angel saw: Der Himmel Uber Berlin.

As much as the view was amazing, I doubt I'll ever make it up there again. My mild case of claustrophobia and fear of heights was tested in the staircase and up at the top. But it was well worth the trip.

It was great to have my friend Andre van Lier visit from Hamburg and walk through the frame. I like it when my friends make it into the videos.
 
Luci


No comments:

Post a Comment